Monday, February 3, 2014

A STEP TOO FAR

READING: DEUTERONOMY 27:1-10

Verse 5: “And there you shall build an altar to the LORD your God, an altar of stones; you shall not use an iron tool on them.”

In this verse the Lord gave specific instructions to the Israelites regarding the construction of an altar. It was to be simple and functional. Today, it is also good in our contemporary worship and service to God, to not dress it up too much. I remember a time in elementary school when I tried to dress up an assignment. I wanted to improve a little beyond what the teacher instructed. The result was that I ruined my paper. The teacher was upset with me enough that I still remember the incident more than 60 years later. I had good intentions, but I should have been content with only following instructions. Something similar can happen in our Christian living. Our good intentions can move us away from the simplicity that the Lord intends for us. Therefore, we must avoid becoming involved with our improvements and missing His basic purposes. The Bible clearly establishes that the quality of our relationships with the Lord is very well expressed by simple obedience. That’s a thought – about God’s Word.

RESPONSE

1. How can we avoid going too far in attempting a good thing?

2. What do you see when you compare good intentions with obedience?