Wednesday, July 2, 2014

THE BATTLE OF THE VERBS

READING: JOHN 8:31-36 

Verse 32: “And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.”

There are times when one word can alter the effect of a verse of scripture. John 8:32 is often rendered as follows, “You shall know the truth and the truth will set you free.” Personally, I prefer the impact of the translations that state, “make you free” over those that state, “set you free”. Does the difference really matter? I believe it can. To be set free connotes that permission is granted permission to depart. To be made free means that liberty is produced and freedom is created. If I were confined under torturous conditions in the dark, dank depths of a horrendous prison, it would be good news to learn that I will be set free – that is allowed to depart. However, there would be a downside if I was set free but couldn’t find my way out. I would be much happier if someone was going to make me a free man by getting me out. I would rather be made free than set free. That helps me to more strongly interpret the power of the truth of God. It does more than allowing people to be free from sin and death. The truth of God gets the job done. It produces that freedom! That’s a thought – about God’s Word.

RESPONSE

1. What reasons do you have for agreeing or disagreeing with the point of the reading above?

2. What is the truth that makes us free?