Tuesday, July 29, 2014

HOW TO LOOSE SOME WEIGHT

READING: MATTHEW 11:25-30

Verses 29 &30: “Take My yoke upon you, and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”

The words above are those of the Lord Jesus. The yoke and burden to which He referred were the weight of Jewish law upon the Hebrews of that time. This was the invitation offered them by the Lord Jesus to take up His commands instead, so that it would be better for them. His invitation also has practical application today in our time. Everyone one of us is influenced to some degree by past experiences which leave us with expectations of ourselves. They take the form of “I should”, “I ought to” and “I have to.” Many of these expectations are yokes and burdens to us in our everyday lives. They cause us to be bound to conditions and influences that are no longer valid or productive for us. They cause distractions from benefits we could have otherwise. They should be “over and done with” because they result in labor and heaviness instead of freedom in Christ. The Lord has better for us! Jesus says, “Come to Me all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.” That’s a thought – about God’s Word.

RESPONSE

1. Can you identify a yoke or burden such as described above?

2. From what yoke or burden have you received freedom?