Tuesday, July 8, 2014

BIRTH PAINS

READING: PSALM 71:1-8

Verse 6: “By You I have been upheld from birth; You are He who took me out of my mother’s womb. My praise shall continually be of you.”

In the Book of Ecclesiastes we are informed that there is a time to be born. The Bible is making the point that God has predetermined and established the times of our births. In some situations, however, life becomes extremely difficult for people. On some of those occasions there are those who are heard to express regret that they were born. When these are Christians, the truth of God is needed for encouragement. In that regard, Psalmists have provided words and thoughts to inspire us. For example, Psalm 71:6 does so as a prayer of praise to the Lord, and one which specifically addresses our births. It declares, “By You I have been upheld from my birth; You are He who took me out of my mother’s womb. My praise shall continually be of you.” In everything that happens from our births which are by His approval, completely through our eternal lives, we are treasured by our great and mighty God. He never fails in His promise to uphold us. That is good reason to be encouraged and give Him praise for our lives even in times of challenge. That’s a thought – about God’s Word.

RESPONSE

1. How much and well do we understand the Lord’s purposes for our lives?

2. What do you think of the psalmist’s confession that God took him out of his mother’s womb?