Monday, June 23, 2014

I’M SORRY – NOT ENOUGH

READING: 2 CORINTHIANS 7:8-12

Verse 10: “For godly sorrow produces repentance leading to salvation, not to be regretted; but the sorrow of the world produces death.”

Sara and Judith both got cookies for the cookie jar without getting permission. Afterward, they heard their little brother telling mom what they had done, and knew they were in trouble. Sara thought, “I know I should not have taken that cookie. I was wrong and I’ll ask mom to forgive me even though there will be consequences.” Judith thought, “I should have been more careful about getting that cookie. Now I need to say the right thing to mom in order to avoid the consequences.” Sara was sorry she had disobeyed the rule. Judith was just sorry she was caught. As adults, people still react in those two different manners. The difference in these two responses reflects the truth of the verse above. Both types of sorrow are still among us. Therefore, there are those reading this devotional thought today who practice the sorrow of the world. If you are one of those, you should know that the Lord Jesus has saved you from the death that is the result of this practice. It is His desire to change your worldly sorrow into godly sorrow. Please talk to someone who will help you connect with the Jesus the Son of God who is your Savior and the only way to obtain godly sorrow. That’s a thought – about God’s word.

RESPONSE

1. Pleas pray for those who need to come into godly sorrow.

2. Please pray for yourself to gain victory over worldly sorrow if it exists in your life.