Saturday, December 28, 2013

ONE WAY IN

READING: LUKE 13:22-28

Verse 27: “But He will say, ‘I tell you I do not know you, where you are from. Depart from me, all you workers of iniquity’”

This passage is addressing a time when people will attempt to establish themselves as being familiar to the Lord and acceptable to Him. They will say to Him “Surely you recognize us, we’ve been right here nearby”. However, He won’t accept them. That compares to the following example: Let’s say I really want to be a Pittsburgh Steeler. My response to that desire is to go where the Steeler players go, dress as I see them dressing, and to adopt their mannerisms. I get as close to the team members as I can. If I do all of that well enough, I may look like and even feel somewhat like a member of their football team. However, the reality is that unless I sign a contract, I won’t get issued their football gear, I won’t practice with them much less be assigned a position on the team, and will never play in one of their football games. I certainly won’t be paid even a penny for being a Steeler! So it is with God’s kingdom. Just hangin’ around won’t do. Jesus said: “unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.” The issue is much more than a team or a game. The issue is our eternal existence. We must be born again! That’s a thought – about God’s Word.

RESPONSE

1. What is Jesus’ purpose in this passage?

2. What do you want to hear from the Lord when you go before Him?